1. CALI: http://www.cali.org/
You were given a CALI CD in your orientation packet. CALI exercises are interactive tutorials on a variety of subjects including legal research and writing. You need not register to use the lessons on the CD.
You may also access the tutorials online. To do so, register at http://www.cali.org, using the TJSL student authorization code given to you. Click on the ‘Not a registered user yet?’ link in order to start the process. During the registration process you will create your password. In subsequent visits to use lessons, you will only need to enter your email address and your password.
2. LexisNexis: You were given a LexisNexis access code in your orientation packet. Go to http://www.lexisnexis.com/lawschool/login.aspx to register the activation code. On the upper right hand side of the screen, you will see this box:
Click on “Students Register Here” and follow the instructions to create your custom username and password.
If you cannot find your activation code, you would first click onto “Students Register Here” as shown directly above, and then click onto the “Get an activation code” link, as shown in the image directly below:
To log onto LexisNexis, go back to http://www.lexisnexis.com/lawschool/login.aspx and enter your custom ID. If you forget your custom ID (meaning that you created an ID using the activation code, but have misplaced your ID), click on the “Forgot Password” link as shown directly below:
3. Westlaw: You were given a Westlaw code in your orientation packet. You will need to go to http://lawschool.westlaw.com to create a custom username and password using that code. To do so, click on the orange box titled “Register Password” in the lower left side of that Webpage:
You will then be prompted to create a custom username and password during this registration process. You will then use that custom ID to sign on to Westlaw.
To then log into Westlaw, go back to http://lawschool.westlaw.com and use your custom login.
If you forget your ID, click the “Forgot your Username or Password?” link located just above the abovementioned orange “Register Password” box. See the image directly above.
If you did not register your initial Westlaw code and cannot find it: See the reference librarians.
From the Westlaw login screen, shown above, click onto the TWEN link at the top of the screen (white font color on blue background). Use your Westlaw login information to then log in to TWEN.
To Add Your Courses in TWEN:
From the TWEN homepage, click onto the “Add Course” button:
And then check the boxes that correspond to the courses you want to add:
Finally, scroll to the bottom of the page and click “Submit.”
The next time you log in, you’ll see the added course(s):
4. Library Access: When you check out a book for the first time, present your TJSL ID card to the circulation assistant and they’ll be sure that your library account is set up. Then you’ll be able to check out study aids, course reserves and our many legal-themed movies. The school’s online catalog, Thomcat, is available through the student web page, on the Library homepage. ThomCat links to thousands of databases as well as to books.
5. ThomChat: You have access to virtual reference with a librarian. Submit your question through the library homepage at http://www.tjsl.edu. This service is available Monday through Friday from 9:00-6:00.
6. Research Databases: The library subscribes to hundreds of electronic titles. To access these databases, go to the library menu at http://www.tjsl.edu/library and choose “Research Databases.” Then log into EzProxy using your TJSL network ID.
7. Study Aids: You can access popular study aid titles to the right of the circulation desk and just outside the reference librarian office. Look for the Study Aids sign. These study aids include the nutshell series, Gilbert Law Summaries, and various guides to understand specific topics. We even have flash cards.